Saturday, November 21, 2009

Moving from headless to modded-NAS

So, in an attempt to de-clutter my office area with my webserver, I did some digging.

Seems like most of the older Western Digital MyBook World Editions come preloaded within linux, and have a pretty hefty following for modding the flash to support various features.

I dig it.

And by the way, did I mention that it comes with a gig-ethernet port, and USB port? We'll get to why both are handy in a sec...

So, I purchased a 500GB one, pretty cheap actually. Just do some checking around on Google -- the one I found was refurbished, and ran about 80$.

A good go-to guide.

Looks like it could solve my issue of having a stranded USB printer in my closet upstairs. Assuming this doesn't put out too much heat, I can put it up in my pretty-airy closet upstairs next to the printer, and then use a modded WRT54G to connect it down to my wireless router downstairs.

Spiffy!

No comments: