Monday, October 20, 2008

Wireless != Security either!!!

Welp, apparently I'm going to have to find a way to operate without my keyboard or my wireless connection!

I taught myself how to hack wireless connections when I had some extra time on my hands one summer in Albuquerque, NM. I figured out that it took me about 5 minutes to crack a wireless network with 64-bit WEP and about 2 hours to crack a wireless network with 128-bit WEP. Cracking networks with WPA were a bit harder, and required some more computers to act as people using the network, so I didn't fool with that much.

However, it appears that cracking the wireless networks may have just become 10,000 percent faster, and using nothing more than a fancy video card.


Oh, and by the way, that 64-bit encryption that takes me about 5 minutes to crack -- yeah, that's what HIPAA says is "OK" to use when running computers on the same network that hold your medical records! -- It's just a scary day here at 10nerds!

1 comment:

R.W. Shipshape said...

Danger! If people (i.e. Kelly) only knew...