Monday, June 8, 2009

Don't Forget the Moo Juice!

I've been using Remember the Milk for a while now, and I've got to say, "it's fantastic!"

I have to be honest, I have put "milk" on there more than once, but I mostly use it for other items, especially ones that are recurring.

At first I thought I wouldn't use it because I really don't take advantage of alot of the functionality (like the ability to share my to-do lists with others, or email in items, or have things relate to locations, etc. I also thought I wouldn't like it much because I thought it would basically be a more complicated way of doing things that I could already do with Google Calendar.

As it turns out, it is extremely useful. Having the items on my Google Calendar would work, but there are a few things that I can't do:
1. I can't setup an item to recur based on the last time I did it. For example, if I need to water one of my plants every 3 days, and I miss by a day (sorry Mr. Plant), Google Calendar would have me water it again before 3 days, whereas RTM simply sets the next due date to be 3 days from the day I marked the item as "complete".
2. I have alot of things on my Google Calendar, none of which are items that I actually need to accomplish, they are simply things that I am doing that day, not necessarily items that I need to do.
3. With Google Calendar there is no way to create a to-do item without a due date. Also, RTM allows items to float. For example, if you assign a due date to an item and you miss it, it simply stays on your to-do list (bolded and underlined). With Google Calendar, the item would simply pass by and you would either be forced to move it to another date, or just forget about it.

I highly recommend you give it a go, as it's a fantastic utility, especially when you can utilize the Gmail addon or the mobile interface.

No comments: