Monday, June 8, 2009

"Live" Social Networking

I'm not sure if "Live Social Networking" is the right term for instant messaging and status updates from Facebook and Twitter, but that's what we're going for.

There was a time where I would startup my PC and load AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger and ICQ. Four programs to manage four chat services!

I then switched to gAim, which turned into Pidgin because AOL didn't like the name. I was a fan of Pidgin for a long time, favoring it over Trillian because it was totally free and had no pay-version (like Trillian Pro). With Trillian (free) they just advertise Trillian Pro all the time, and I found the program to be unnecessarily obese.

Within the past year I began having trouble with Pidgin (crashes, slow operations, etc.), so I decided to give it up and move on.

Enter Digsby.

There were many features that I found alluring, but I really liked the Twitter and other Social Networking interfaces.

I also liked how it had the tabbed IM windows like Pidgin.

So while I'm sitting at my desk, I can be connected to my IM clients (several services) and watch my Twitter feeds (even the ones that don't update via mobile). This is a fantastic feature in my opinion, and I only wish they had a version for my Nokia n810!

1 comment:

Chris Lydick said...

Check out Adium (www.adiumx.com) too... I use that, and really love it. Though, I believe it's only for Mac.